Jessica GaviriaAge 20
17 Feb 2014
Cosmetic filler poisoning
Jessica died as a result of complications arising from a cosmetic filler injection. At least one of the hospitals she was taken to by a friend refused to admit her.
Knowing the risks that she was facing last Monday, Jessica Gaviria made the decision to apply liquid silicone to increase the size of her buttocks with the help of a friend. However, Helen Garcia, a friend of the victim, reported that Jessica Gaviria died as a result.
"Jessica was taken to several hospitals and rejected, one, for not having an EPS and for being a transgender woman," said Garcia.
According to doctors at the Hospital Universitario del Valle, the woman arrived unconscious after being given three liters of liquid silicone.
The surgeon Fabián Hernández explained the risks of the application of this substance: "once it reaches the lungs it produces an inflammation and a very severe edema in the tissue which affects the oxygenation of the tissues".
The authorities continue calling for people who want to have this type of procedure to have it done only in authorised facilities.
Jessica's death was not recorded on the official TDoR 2014 list released by Transgender Europe (TGEU).