TDoR 2021 / 2021 / March / 11 / Miraş Güneş

Miraş Güneş

Age 36

11 Mar 2021
İzmir (Turkey)

TDoR list ref: tgeu/11-Mar-2021/Miraş Güneş

Miraş Güneş
Miraş Güneş [photo:]

Miraş was found wrapped in a blanket on a sofa bed in her home. Investigators determined that she died from blunt force trauma to the head.

It has emerged that a transgender person, whose body was found wrapped in a blanket in the Bornova district of Izmir, was killed as a result of being hit around the head by a hard object.

When bad smells began to emanate from the apartment of the transgender person who used the name 'Miras Günes', the residents of the building reported the situation to her relatives. She had not been heard from for a while and her relatives had reported her missing.

Three suspects were subsequently arrested. In November 2021, Serdar Gülsoy was sentenced to life imprisonment (with a minimum term of 18 years) but the other two suspects were released.

In the examination made by the police teams who came, it was determined that [deadname] had been hit on the head with a hard object and his face had become unrecognizable. Serdar Gülsoy (43), Turgay Türker (37) and Murat Inceçelik (29), who were arrested in connection with the incident.

In the indictment prepared after the investigation, the prosecutor sentenced Serdar Gülsoy to life imprisonment and 18 years in prison on charges of 'deliberate murder', 'qualified theft', 'violation of the immunity of more than one residence at night' and 'chain abuse of another's bank or credit card'. and Murat Inceçelik on charges of 'deliberately assisting murder', 'qualified theft', 'violation of the immunity of more than one residence at night' and 'chain abuse of someone else's bank or credit card'. The indictment was accepted by the Izmir 5th High Criminal Court.

The defendant Turgay Türker argued that Serdar Gülsoy threatened him. Türker said, "When I was upstairs, when Serdar came, I went downstairs and saw the victim lying on the floor. Serdar said that if I told someone else about the incident, he would tell us that we had realized the incident together. He threatened me with my family. From that moment on, I did what the accused Serdar said." said. The accused Murat Inceçelik also did not accept the accusations against him.

The court decided to release Murat Inceçelik and Turgay Türker on condition of judicial control by applying a ban on leaving the country, and to continue the detention of Serdar Gülsoy. The delegation adjourned the hearing by ruling that the witnesses should be heard and the camera recording device in the house where the incident took place should be sent to the court for expert examination.

In January 2023 Serdar Gülsoy, 45, was sentenced to life imprisonment for the crime of 'deliberate killing'.,38537

Report added: 13 Mar 2021. Last updated: 6 Mar 2023

Trigger warning

This site contains reports of violence against transgender people, and links to detailed reports which contain graphic imagery.

Please continue with caution.


Get me out of here!