Name UnknownAge 18
21 Apr 2019
Juazeiro do Norte, Ceará (Brazil)
Cosmetic filler poisoning
The victim died in hospital as a result of an infection following an industrial silicone cosmetic filler injection.
An 18-year-old [trans woman] died from an acute infection in Juazeiro do Norte, in the Cariri region, last Sunday (21). The patient was admitted to a hospital in the area already with the infectious condition.
The Advisory Office of the Cariri Regional Hospital (HRC) reported that the infection may have been caused by an industrial silicone implant that the patient did. A victim was from Maceió (AL). She will be buried on Wednesday (24) in her hometown.
The use of industrial silicone for aesthetic purposes is prohibited by the National Sanitary Surveillance Agency (Anvisa). The product is oily and is intended for cleaning cars and airplane parts, waterproofing tiles and glazing.
If injected into the human organism, the product can generate anomalies, deformations, pains, generalized infections, pulmonary embolism and lead to death, according to Anvisa. The application of industrial silicone is considered a crime against public health.